Middle East Desalination
Huntington Beach Proposal
About This Website
Electrodialysis Reversal Process
• Operates on the same general principles as electrodialysis unit, except
that it provides a continuous self cleaning system.
• It uses periodic reversal of the DC polarity to allow systems to run at
higher recovery raters.
History of use
• In the early 1970’s it was introduced, with applications in municipal
drinking water, industrial process water, and waste water reuse projects.
• At intervals of several times an hour, the polarity of the electrode is
• Simultaneously the flows are switched so that the brine channels become
the fresh water.
• The reversal process is useful in breaking up and flushing out scales,
slimes, and other deposits.
• Allows unit to operate with fewer pretreatment chemicals
• Chlorine resistant membranes tolerant to disinfection
• High recovery system
o The system is able to reduce dissolved ions of up to 12,000ppm of total
dissolved solids, with 94% removal
• Land-based applications
• Long membrane life, between 5 and 10 years
• Less sensitive than reverse osmosis to particulates and metal oxides
Limits to system parameters are it has the ability to treat anywhere from
500 Gallons/day up to 1.6 gallons/day.