David E. Lewis
(Льюис Дэвид Эдуинович)
Без проблем! Всё будет хорошо!
Teaching (2016-2017 Academic Year)
- Organic Chemistry (second semester; Chem 325)—Fall, 2017
- Modern Organic Chemistry (Chem 426)–Spring 2018
- Chemical Industry Seminar (Chem 274)–Spring 2018
Schedule for the Fall, 2017, semester
Education and Professional Experience
I received all my education in South Australia. I began my schooling in the mid-north, in the town of Snowtown, and then moved into the city of
Salisbury, where I attended Salisbury High School. I completed my education in chemistry at the
University of Adelaide.
B.Sc. 1972 (chemistry), Ph.D. 1980 (organic chemistry), D.Sc. 2012 (chemistry)
University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR 1977-1980
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, IL 1980-1981
Baylor University, Waco, TX 1981-1988
South Dakota State University, Brookings, SD 1989-1997
University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, Eau Claire, WI 54702
Membership in Professional
Societies and Advisory Boards
Scientific Advisory Boards
Editorial Advisory Boards
Awards and Honors
- Adelaide University:
- Commonwealth Secondary Scholarship 1966-1968; Commonwealth University (Open Entrance) Scholarship 1969-1972; Commonwealth Postgraduate Research Award 1973-1976.
- The Union Carbide Prize in Chemistry 1971; The Rennie Scholarship for Research in Chemistry 1972.
- Distinguished Visiting Scholar, University of Adelaide 6/88-7/88
- University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire:
- University Faculty Excellence in Scholarship Award, 2016
- International Fellow, 2015, 2017
- American Chemical Society Central Wisconsin Section:
- Award for Outstanding Contributions to Chemistry, 2006; Outstanding Service Award, 2010
- American Chemical Society (national):
- Listed: American Men and Women of Science; Who's Who in Science & Technology; Who's Who in Science & Engineering; Who's Who in America; Who's Who Among America's Teachers; Who's Who in the World
- 2017 Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award
- Inaugural WisMEF Innovation Scholar Award, 2012
Publications, Patents, etc.
- Publications, 2013—
- (a) Papers in refereed journals:
- McKenney, R.K.; Groess, L.L.; Kopidlansky, K.M.; Dunkle, K.L.; Lewis, D.E. "The heterocycle of 4-substituted-1,8-naphthalimides is NOT inert to nucleophilic attack, contrary to earlier reports." Org. Biomol. Chem. 2013, 11, 4390-4396.
- Lewis, D.E. "Disability; Despotism; Deoxygenation—From exile to Academy member. Nikolai Matveevich Kizhner (1867-1935). Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2013, 52, 11704-11712. "Behinderung; Despotismus; Deoxygenierung—vom Exil zum Mitglied der Akademie. Nikolai Matwejewitsch Kishner (1867-1935)." Angew. Chem. 2013, 125, 11920-11928.
- Suntsov, V.; Lewis, D.E. "A century of base-promoted decomposition of hydrazones: the Tomsk years of Nikolai Metveevich Kizhner (1867-1935)." Bull. Hist. Chem. 2014, 39, 43-52.
- Lewis, D.E. "Citations for Chemical Breakthroughs: Mendeleev's Periodic System of the Elements." Bull. Hist. Chem. 2014, 39, 1-6.
- Lewis, D.E. "Introduction to an English translation, 'On the different explanations of certain cases of isomerism' by Aleksandr Butlerov"Bull. Hist. Chem. 2015, 40, 9-13.
- Lewis, D.E. "On the different explanations of certain cases of isomerism. Mr. A. Boutlerow. (Sur les explications différents de quelques cas d’isomerie,”
Bulletin de la Société Chimique de Paris, Nouvelle Série, 1864, 1, 100-128.)" Bull. Hist. Chem. 2015, 40, 13-28.
- Suntsov, V.; Lewis, D.E. "Introduction to an English translation of Kizhner's pioneering papers on deoxygenation." Bull. Hist. Chem. 2015, 40(2), 61-64.
- Suntsov, V.; Lewis, D.E. " '25. The catalytic decomposition of alkylidenehydrazines as a method for the preparation of hydrocarbons (Abridged),' by N. Kizhner, Zhurnal Russkago Fiziko-Khimicheskago Obshchestva 1911, 43, 582-595." Bull. Hist. Chem. 2015, 40(2), 64-68. Supplemental information: unabridged translation
- Suntsov, V.; Lewis, D.E. " '27. 'On the catalytic decomposition of alkylidenehydrazines (Second part) (Abridged),' by N. Kizhner, Zhurnal Russkago Fiziko-Khimicheskago Obshchestva 1911, 43, 951-962." Bull. Hist. Chem. 2015, 40(2), 69-73. Supplemental information: unabridged translation
- Lewis, D.E. "Klaus at Kazan: The Discovery of Ruthenium."Bull. Hist. Chem. 2016, 41, 3–11.
- Lewis, D.E. "Intramolecular pericyclic reactions of acetylene derivatives leading to dehydroaromatic and related species." Minirev. Org. Chem. 2017, 14, 107–121.
- Anderson, S.M.; Mitchell, S.D.; LaPlante, K.A.; McKenney, R.K.; Lewis, D.E., "General acid and base catalysis in transamination of 6-chloro-2-aryl-1H-benz[de]isoquinoline-1,3-(2H)-dione and its implications in laser tissue welding." J. Heterocycl. Chem. 2017, 54, 2029–2037.
- Suntsov, V.; Lewis, D.E. "After the Revolution: Nikolai Matveevich Kizhner (1867-1935) in Soviet Moscow." Bull. Hist. Chem. 2017, 42, 46–56.
- Lewis, D.E. "Aleksei Yevgen'evich Chichibabin (1871-1945): A century of pyridine chemistry" Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2017, 56, 9660-9668.; Angew. Chem. 2017, 129, 9788-9796.
- Lewis, D.E. "A. Ye. Arbuzov: Father of organophosphorus chemistry in Russia." Bull. Hist. Chem., 2017, 42, 112–125.
- Lewis, D.E. "Static to dynamic: The transformation from chemical structure to reaction regiochemistry." Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 2018, 57, accepted for publication.
- Lewis, D.E. "Introduction to an English translation of Markovnikov's first paper describing 'Markovnikov's Rule.' " Bull. Hist. Chem. 2018, 43, accepted for publication
- Lewis, D.E. ""Primary Documents. 'On the question of the mutual influence of atoms in chemical compounds.' V. Morkovnikov. Zhurnal Russkago Fiziko-Khimicheskago Obshchestva, 1869, 1, 242-247." Translated by David E. Lewis. Bull. Hist. Chem. 2018, 43, accepted for publication.
- (b) Books and book chapters:
- Lewis, D.E. "Yegor Yegorovich Vagner (1849-1903): A 'wondrously sharpwitted' chemist." In Patterson, G.D.; Rasmussen, S.C., Eds. Characters in Chemistry; A Celebration of the Humanity of Chemistry. ACS Symp. Ser. 2013, 1136, ch. 9, pp. 143-165.
- Lewis, D.E. Advanced Organic Chemistry (Oxford University Press: New York, 2016). 1176 + xiii pp; ISBN 978-0-19-975897-5. View the video short here
- Lewis, D.E. Solutions manual and study guide for Advanced Organic Chemistry (Oxford University Press: New York, 2015). (e-book, ISBN 978-0-19-049931-0).
- Lewis, D.E. Казанская химическая школа глазами американского историка химии: Сборник трудов Дэвида Э. Льюиса [The Kazan Chemistry School Through the Eyes of an American Historian of Chemistry: Collected Papers by David E. Lewis]. Shtyrlin, V.I., Ed.; Konovalov, A.I., Scientific Ed.; Translation from English by Evtugyn, G.A.; Kuramshin, A.I.; Mukhametzyanov, T.A.; Nemtarev, A.V.; Serov, N.Yu.; Shtyrlin, V.G. (Kazan University Publishing House: Kazan, Tatarstan, Russia; 2016) ISBN 978-5-00019-605-2.
- Lewis, D.E. "Yevgenii Konstantinovich Zavoiskii (1907-1976): Overlooked Pioneer in Magnetic Resonance." In Strom, E. T.; Mainz, V. V., Eds. The Posthumous Nobel Prize in Chemistry: Correcting the Errors & Oversights of the Nobel Prize Committee. ACS Symp. Ser. 2017, 1262, Ch. 10, pp. 219–241.
- Lewis, D.E. "High creativity, historical invisibility: The growth of chemistry in Russia." In Rasmussen, S.C., Ed. Igniting the Chemical Ring of Fire. Historical Evolution of the Chemical Communities in the Countries of the Pacific Rim (World Scientific Publishers: Singapore, 2018). Ch. 11, pp. 309–354.
- Lewis, D.E. "The Wolff-Kishner Reduction and Related Reactions." Organic Name Reactions. Biography, Discovery and Development. Elsevier: Amsterdam, 2018.
- (c) Open-access columns in Synform (the online supplement to Synthesis and Synlett)
- Dieringer, R. K.; Lewis, D. E. "Arthur Michael (1853-1942): The Michael Addition Reaction." Synform 2017/09, A142–144.
- Lewis, D.E. "Independent Discoveries: The Wolff-Kishner Reduction" Synform 2017/12, A208–A212.
- Lewis, D. E. Charles Friedel (1832-1899) and James Mason Crafts (1839-1917): the Friedel-Crafts Alkylation and Acylation Reactions." Synform 2018/4, A49–A53.
- Lewis, D. E. Rearrangement to electron-deficient nitrogen. A. W. Hofmann (1818-1892), W. Lossen (1838-1906), and T. Curtius (1857-1928)." Synform 2018/7, A107–A110.
- (d) Invited Chapters Under Review or Contract:
- (f) U.S. Patents:
- Lewis, D.E.; Caldwell, M.D. “Synergistic anticoagulant composition.” U.S. Patent No. 8,765,982 B2 [July 1, 2014].
- Kemp, M.C.; Lewis, D.E. “Quaternary ammonium salts as microbe inhibitors.” U.S. Patent No. 8,853,454 B2 [October 7, 2014].
A complete list of refereed publications and patents can be downloaded here: (pdf format); (Word format)
Recent Research Presentations
- "Citations for Chemical Breakthroughs Awards (Прорыв в химической науке)"; St. Petersburg State University, Russia, October 31, 2013;
- photographs from this event posted on the SPBU website here
- "Kazan—the Cradle of Russian Organic Chemistry (Казань—колыбель русского органической химии)"; Kazan (Volga Region) Federal University, Kazan, Tatarstan, Russia November 7, 2013 (bilingual pdf)
- photographs from this visit posted on the KFU website here or here and at the A.E. Arbuzov Institute for Organic and Physical Chemistry here and here
- "Пионерские Российские Взносы в Органической Химии (Pioneering Russian Contributions to Organic Chemistry)" Ural Federal University, Ekaterinburg, Russia June 9, 2014 (bilingual pdf)
- "Mendeleev's Periodic Table" National Meeting of the American Chemical Society, San Francisco, August 10, 2014, HIST-11
- "Klaus at Kazan: The Discovery of Ruthenium."; International Chugaev Conference, Kazan Federal University, Kazan, Tatarstan, Russia, October 10, 2014. (bilingual pdf)
- "Citations for Chemical Breakthroughs" award—Production of anilines from readily available precursors"; International Chugaev Conference, Kazan Federal University, Kazan, Tatarstan, Russia, October 10, 2014. (bilingual pdf) See a report here
- "Yevgenii Konstantinovich Zavoiskii (1907-1976): Overlooked Pioneer in Magnetic Resonance" 251st National Meeting, American Chemical Society, March 13-17, 2016, San Diego, CA, HIST 21
- "From Structural Theory to Stereochemistry: The Critical Role of the Kazan Chemists" VIIIth International Symposium: Molecular Design and Synthesis of Supramolecular Architectures. Kazan, Tatarstan, Russia, April 25, 2016 (pdf here)
- photographs from this visit posted on the KFU website here
- photographs and a report posted at Saratov State University Institute of Chemistry here and its English translation
- "Was Markovnikov's Rule an inspired guess? Absolutely NOT!" 16th International Seminar on Inclusion Compounds and 3rd Youth School on Supramolecular and Coordination Chemistry. Kazan Federal University, Kazan, Tatarstan, Russia, June 28, 2017.
David E. Lewis
Department of Chemistry
All original materials on this web site are copyrighted by David E. Lewis, and their access by individuals for their own individual use is permitted. Their commercial use or transfer to any commercial entity without express written consent is prohibited.
updated: May 24, 2018
[UW-Eau Claire][College of Arts & Sciences] [Chemistry