The Oregon Wildland/Urban Human Fire Interface

Home/Abstract

How Fire Works

Wildlife-Wildfire Interface

Oregon's Vulnerability

Biscuit Fire

Urban-Wildfire Interface

Firefighting Techniques

Sources

GEOGRAPHY 361 HOMEPAGE

 

 

Oregon's Vulnerability

  There are significant years with more severe fire seasons then others, nonetheless fire seasons globally follow a climatic pattern.  In Oregon the natural season for wildfires occur between the months of June into late October.  Although June-October is the common duration of wildfires in Oregon there are factors that can increase the fuel conditions producing severe wildfires in other seasons.   
 

  Wildfires have been a common and a widespread natural hazard of Oregon's history.  Common wildfires in Oregon are specific to the forested highlands of the Cascade and Coastal mountainous regions and the dry arid desert of eastern Oregon. 

  

Comparison of wildfire risk zones in Oregon (left) and forest types of Oregon (right). Mapping various forest types allows you to understand the severity of fire regimes in a specific region.  From there risk levels can be adjusted accordingly and recorded as a zone. 

Sources:http://egov.oregon.gov/ODF/FIRE/images/interimhighriskareas.jpg  &  http://www.onrc.org/info/fire/

 

  In Oregon, human activity is responsible for 70% of wildland fires and lightning is a result of 30% of wildland fires.  Oregon's extreme drought seasons intensify the likelihood of fires due to mindless human activity.  The human misconception of fire severity in specific zones is a major cause of the 70%.