Finding Good Sources
There are a number of strategies for finding journal articles to use as sources for your paper:
- Library databases (http://libguides.uwec.edu/criminaljusticedatabases)
- There are other discipline databases you can search through the library website. If you are having trouble, go to the library and talk with a reference librarian.
- Google Scholar (http://scholar.google.com/)
- Google Scholar indexes many journal articles that are available online. You may run into problems using this tool if you haven't before. First, not all of the articles listed are peer reviewed and/or scholarly. Check the list below or check with the instructor. Second, many of the articles that are listed are not available for free (you may have to pay a fee to view them). I would recommend using Google Scholar to identify particular articles, then take your citation list to the library where a reference librarian will be able to help you find them for free. Sometimes you will be able to get them through interlibrary loan in a few days.
- Snowball sampling
- Use the textbook or articles you have found to identify other material that may be relevant to your paper. For example, what sources do the authors of the text book cite? Are you able to find those sources? Look at the reference page of an article that you found that you believe is particularly relevant to your work. Sometimes you will be able to find the articles online, otherwise go to the library and talk to someone.
Selected Scholarly Criminal Justice and Criminology Journals
Below is a partial list of peer reviewed criminology and criminal justice journals. If you identify a source that you would like to use for your paper that is not on this list, be sure to contact the instructor.
REALLY GREAT JOURNALS:
American Sociological Review
Crime & Delinquency
Criminal Justice and Behavior
Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology
Journal of Research in Crime and Delinquency
Journal of Quantitative Criminology
For a list of other possible peer-reviewed journals, click here.