Welcome to the Wireshark Test Website
Form Post Method Example
This website was produced in order for students to test the Wireshark application.
The site features 3 form fields and a submit button which is commonly associated with many websites available on the Internet today (4/28/2011). The fields are "First Name," "Last Name," and "Password."
How can I use this website with Wireshark?
The goal is to "sniff" the data that is passed between the two website pages after the form is submitted with Wireshark. To accomplish this task simply:
1. Open Wireshark and click on the Wireshark Capture Interfaces icon
2. Perform a litte web browsing so you can see some packets being sent and received
3. Click "Start" to start capturing data packets
4. Now that Wireshark is monitoring the network, it is time to open this website and enter in some sample information into the 3 fields and click the "Submit" button to submit form data.
5. Wireshark should have been monitoring the network traffic in the background as you were browsing to this website and submitting the form. This means that Wireshark should have been able to capture the data that you just entered into the 3 form fields. Now is the time to go back to your Wireshark application that is monitoring the data packets.You could take the time to scroll through all of the various protocol packets (ARP, HTTP, TCP, etc.) to find the sniffed data fields but we recommend that you taken an alternative option and add an "http" protocol filter on the data packets that you just sniffed. This will make the process of finding the useful data quicker.
6. Now that you have the filter applied take some time to carefully look at the data values and see if you can't find the values that you entered into this website prior to submitting the form. You should be able to the values you entered in plain text.
7. If you liked this tutorial please pass it to a friend. Thank you.
Developed by Beatris A. Mendez Gandica, Seth, Travis